- A new Greenpeace campaign targets Apple’s cloud computing products, as it looks to “clean the cloud around the world.
- A smooth animation of a timelapse of planet Earth from ‘Electro-L’, a geostationary satellite orbiting 40,000 kilometres above the Earth.
- A blind-folded guy entertainingly told at his bachelor party that he’s about to bungee-jump 50 feet – only it’s more like 5 feet into a pool of water!
- Honda’s new ‘UNI-CUB’ personal mobility device.
- A graphic undercover investigation, by the Humane Society of the United States, into the walking horse industry discovers cases of rampant cruelty.
These are Storyful Daily’s “Five of the best on YouTube” for today. Not exactly “all the news that’s fit to print” or any other major daily’s take on world news, is it?
To the five best on YouTube, Storyful adds its five best in sport, five best in weather and five general stories – Frankfurt protesters, fans mourning the death of disco queen Donna Summer, a PAC plan to attack Obama, the effect of a Twitter hashtag on a Spanish bank and a live-tweeted journey through a region facing a hunger crisis.
It’s the new news from Storyful, the brainchild of an Irish journalist. Storyful’s professional journalists sift “actionable news” from the chaff of the real-time web for use by news organizations throughout the world, acting as a “social media ‘field producer'” and providing an online window into their findings for the general public. For both its media clients and the general public, the result is access to authentic views on recent events or developments and early warnings of what could be big stories to come. It adds a valuable social dimension to what we call “news.”